Monday, October 7, 2013

1201

Updated! Jesse, his Red Sox playoff beard, and Pee Wee!
Jesse left for tour last Wednesday, and luckily work was so busy that it kept me distracted. I collapsed into sleep most nights last week. On Saturday he called me and asked me to go on a date Monday night (tonight!). I thought I wouldn't be seeing him again until near the end of the month, but he was able to work out a detour for an evening! We'll be getting some dinner and seeing Gravity in IMAX 3D. Then he's off again tomorrow, but I'm so excited to just spend a few hours with him.

+

Speaking of movie-going, last week I saw Joseph Gordon-Levitt's writing-directorial feature debut, Don Jon. I was a bit skeptical at its start, but the film progressed into an entertaining commentary on modern day media and sexual politics. I was especially enamored with its ending and though I've always been a fan of that charmer JGL, I now hold him with even higher esteem after such a smart film. It might end up in my top ten of the year.

On Saturday I saw Enough Said. It was basically a divorcee rom-com, but I found it charming. I love Julia Louis-Dreyfus and James Gandolfini; it's an unassuming film that made me laugh quite a lot. It also made me miss Gandolfini and I stared at his character in disbelief at the fact that the actor playing him is gone. A decent film... which also co-stars Tavi Gevinson?!?! I still don't know what to make of that, except she wasn't bad and reminded me of Dawkson Creek-era Michelle Williams.

+

Musically, I've fallen in love with three recently-released albums: Lorde's Pure Heroine, Chvrches' The Bones of What You Believe, and Haim's Days Are Gone. All three on rotation, but I think Lorde's relaxed vibe is currently my favorite.

With Scandal's premiere last week, I've also taken to thinking that Olivia Pope might enjoy Lorde's song "Glory and Gore" in which she sings: "You can try and take us / But we're the gladiators." If you know, you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment