Sunday, November 24, 2013

1229

I spent most of yesterday waiting for the superintendent to come fix the toilet. I watched four movies and made deviled eggs at one in the morning for Friendsgiving.

Only God Forgives - maybe the worst movie I've seen this year. I couldn't even finish it. I don't get people's obsession with Drive, but at least it was okay. This movie's from the same director, but somehow Ryan Gosling has LESS lines. OGF was garbage and Gosling should know better. Utter crap. It's been a bad year for Gosling what with this, that gangster movie, and that overly ambitious but wanted-to-like-it movie about boys and their fathers? I can't even remember the names of these (something about Pines?), they were so forgettable.

Arbitrage - I'd heard many good things about this film during the 2012 Oscar race but I don't think it was nominated for anything. I don't really like Richard Gere but I gave this a chance and I liked it a lot. (Or perhaps after OGF I was thankful?) It's a good little movie with intricate storytelling. Thoroughly enjoyed.

Dredd - my friend Adam came over and we had a good time with this one. Honestly it was a little obtrusive how many shots were ONLY good for 3D versions of the film (something I don't have on Netflix Instant!) and the fact that the drug at the center of the story was called "Slo-Mo," aka actually a film technique was a bit hokey. But it was straight action and good action. Also, gross (slo-mo death scenes galore).

Greenberg - after recently obsessing over Frances Ha, I decided to watch another Baumbach/Gerwig collab (she didn't write this one though) and though I fell asleep watching it, I'm not so sure I'm going to like it. Ben Stiller is really good at being unlikable, right? I just don't know if I want to continue seeing Stiller being a neurotic asshole. Maybe I'll finish it before this Pats game starts...

+

Today was Friendsgiving but, you know, tryptophan and whatnot makes me not want to sit on my computer and write about it. I'll write about it tomorrow with photos...

+

This post a day thing is getting exhausting, sorry to say.

+

Jesse's back tomorrow!

+

PS the super finally made it this morning of course as I was getting ready to leave the house. OF COURSE.

No comments:

Post a Comment