Thursday, May 22, 2008

"More sass than Pete Wentz has eyeliner."

First and foremost, I'd like to recommend a book. It's called Hot Mess: Summer in the City by Julie Kraut and Shallon Lester. It's a teen novel, but I haven't really outgrown sleepovers and wanting to be more mature, so why should I begrudge reading something intended for teenagers? I mean, I've definitely read all the Traveling Pants books, so whatever. Moving on.

This book is brilliant summer reading because it's about two Connecticut teens spending the summer before their senior year in Manhattan. They're smart girls, but clueless when it comes to the big city - which is part of the book's hilariousness. They get internships, though the only thing they know about internships came by way of LC on The Hills. Basically, the way that Dawson's Creek's teen characters dropped three- and four-syllable words, is the way Kraut & Lester's characters drop pop culture references (except way more believable, obvs). I'm only halfway through the book but there was a Panic at the Disco reference.

So couple emo with wit, and you have me sold. I would probably not recommend this to any dudes, just saying. This isn't like me recommending Watchmen. Ha. And it is actually a great follow-up, as it has banished any apocalyptic Watchmen-induced afterthoughts from my brain. In short: FUN READ. Buy it at Amazon.

---

Memorial Day weekend! I have a half day of work tomorrow, and then my girls Kelly and Erica will join me for fun in Massachusetts for my brother's college graduation party. We have other things to plan over the weekend, so Kells did the whole "itinerary" thing - I'm not kidding, she e-mailed it to me today. Anyway, I'm really stoked for being out of the city and at home with my parents and my brother. We have the best backyard fun ever. It usually consists of whiffle ball, barbeque, and flip cup (which my mom and dad learned to play at my brother's 21st birthday party a couple of years ago, and is still slighty scarring to watch - but amazing). I'm just hoping the weather is better than all the rain we've been getting this week...oh, who cares, it's three and a half days of not working. Woo!

3 comments:

  1. i am officially convinvced that your parents are probably the two coolest people on the face of the planet.

    better buy some Tira Misu before the game starts.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a great weekend. have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, sounds like you'll have a blast!

    Also, that book sounds good. I love YA fiction! :D haha

    ReplyDelete