Monday, June 15, 2009

The bridal shower!

Good morning! I've just had one of the best weekends of my entire life so far. I know it'll be hard for me to describe just how amazing it was - but I'm sure Jiscilla's pictures will help out! Yesterday as she loaded the pictures in from Saturday's Bridal Shower and Bachelorette Party, I believe the count was 683 pictures. Yes. Six-hundred and eighty-three. I'll eventually post them as albums, but here's a small selection and details about the Bridal Shower! The only one I've ever been to so far!

My mom arrived Friday afternoon, and we picked up her best friend Milagros on Saturday morning. The apartment was in a state of bustling excitement as all the decorations were going up and being set. I came back to find my best friends Christy, who had flown in from Texas, and Amber, who had flown in from Michigan! I hadn't seen either of them in such a long time!! Along with Jiscilla, Kelly, and Erica, the whole gang was back together.

I got into my dress (oh it's so lovely to have excuses to buy new things!) and Jiscilla did my hair & make-up as our resident beauty expert. Then the rest of the guests, Gaby, Katie, and Perry arrived and the festivities began!

My Maids of Honor (yes, I have TWO) Erica and Kelly organized the whole thing and made it quite the classy affair, with a spread such as this. They should probably start some sort of party planning business.

The party started off with some wine and just general catching up. The picture pretty much demonstrates why we're friends. I don't know why we were doing this, but we did. That's me on the left, along with Christy, Kelly, and Erica. And robot hands.

And here's Amber! I hadn't seen Amber in over a year, since she spent most of last year working in Italy. She's one of my bridesmaids, with Christy and Jiscilla. That rounds out my wedding party.

The ladies started off the party by giving me a purple crown to wear the whole day and night and then we played a game - which Jesse had a part in. They had asked Jesse to answer 32 questions via video about himself, and I would be asked the same questions and see how many we could get right together - whichever of our lovely guests guessed the correct amount of right answers got a prize.

I answered many questions assuredly and with confidence.

However, sometimes I would be wrong. Um, I really had no idea Jesse' favourite actor was Johnny Depp. I went with Daniel Day Lewis. In the end, I got 19 out of the 32 questions correct! And Katie took home a prize.

I had to get a picture in of my lovely mother! Seriously, walking around with her in the city, many people remarked that we looked like twins. At least I have her genes, right? And she made the best empanadas EVER for the spread.

The group of us continued drinking our wine and then we got down to the cake-cutting. Kelly apparently knew of an amazing cake-baker in New York, and it did not disappoint.

YUM!

After the cake, we opened presents. It seems that bridal showers have "themes" these days, and after careful consideration, Erica and Kelly threw out many a theme they'd found online (like "sandals" ???) and tailored something to my own personality: BOOKS! I got many, MANY books as gifts and I couldn't be a happier lady! I definitely have enough unread books on my shelves now to fill out the rest of my 52 Book year! My friends are so lovely and creative - they picked out a great range of books that I either wanted or didn't even know I did but now am so excited to read! I was so surprised!

I really couldn't have asked for a better theme, and I was certainly mesmerized by the mountain of books that I had laying there at the end of it! I also got a great bunch of cookbooks, which I can't wait to try out. Cooking has never really been a hobby of mine, but I will attempt it, I will!

Afterwards, we played our favourite party game ever: Celebrities! Seriously, playing this game leads to some of the most hilarious clues and answers ever. Like, I may or may not have said "Neil Mandela" instead of "Nelson Mandela." Other examples?

Jiscilla: HOOOOOOOOOOOCH!
Answer: "Tom Hanks"

Jessica: Probably the greatest actress in America right now, was in Devil Wears Prada...
Amber: Anne Hathaway!
Answer: Meryl Streep

Perry: The most charitable person...
Jiscilla: Angelina Jolie!
Answer: Mother Theresa

Classic celebrities.

That wrapped up the Bridal Shower, but twas not the end of the festivities. We all had direct orders to be ready to go by 10pm for the Bachelorette. Let me just say the shower was more than I could have ever hoped for thanks to my ladies - they know me so well as to include all the fun of the tradition, without adding in any corniness or antiquity usually associated with such a party. They continued in that mold for the Bachelorette, too. I'm so grateful!

So, we rested up by watching 13 Going on 30 (how great?!) and getting dolled up. There was a bit of color coordination, as you'll see below...you can also probably guess as to what color I've chosen for the wedding, ha. We had a champagne toast to kick off the rest of the night...and more on that debauchery later!

13 comments:

  1. That is an awesome theme for a shower!

    Can't wait to hear about the rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhhh i LOVE it! looks like the perfect day/night. can't wait to hear more about the bachelorette!

    also, your apartment looks SO nice! tour please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, you look totally amazing in that dress. Muy jealous! So so cute. Secondly, I'm glad you had fun, it looks like an amazing time! Can't wait to hear about the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, your mom is styling! and I think the last time I saw Amber was when me and Jesse changed into each others clothes at that bar Revolver and that fight broke out in line for the bathroom haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute!!! And you and your mom totes look so much alike! Such a cute dress. And I love that you iChat-ed Jesse in. COngratss!! Can't wait to hear about the Bachelorette!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jesse's bachelor party is going to have a similar theme except you can replace the books with boobs. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're stunning- it looks like you guys had so much fun. I can't wait for your wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that looks like so much fun! and that dress...amazing! can't wait to see more pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. you look beautiful!! you always do, but that yellow dress is gorgeous. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love your dress! and that cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love your dress!!!!!!! oh man! that sounds like the BEST weekend EVERRRR!!!!

    ReplyDelete