Friday, October 25, 2013

1203


Last night was a bit scary. It started out intentionally frightening: Jesse, Jaime, the legendary Jon Cheese, and I went to a haunted house in Manhattan based on serial killers. We had no idea what to expect, so before we entered we thought it would probably be a good idea to go to the bar across the street to take a tequila shot. I think this course of action certainly calmed my nerves. Also, Jon Cheese.

As we were waiting in line, one of the haunted house employees asked if anyone would like to be "marked with blood," meaning the actors could interact with you more than most. Jon, of course, really wanted the red X's on his forehead. And he made great use of them -- I don't think I will ever go to a haunted house again unless Jon Cheese is in attendance!

At one point clown-faced Gacy was shoving Jon into a wall and then a future murder victim wearing only underwear popped up from a cellar-like door and dragged Jon down with him while we were told to move on to the next room. I turned to Jesse and Jaime and said, "Okay, so we've lost Jon!"

Next up was Ed Gein who was yelling for a volunteer to help him 'feed his crocodiles' and for some reason those jerks Jesse and Jaime decided to push me forward even though I did NOT want to touch that guy's hand. I was given something to hold over a gate and then BAM! Jon Cheese emerged growling and crawling, attacking me! I screamed and then started laughing hysterically as we fell to the ground.

Throughout the house Jon would talk back to the likes of Charles Manson and Patrick Bateman. At one point some weird Cookie Monster-looking killer came out of the wall and Jon screamed, "My wife would hate you!" We had a great time and though I was scared for a lot of it, I mostly just laughed.

Above, our tourist photo of the excursion.

+

And then the other scary bit of the night: the Red Sox. The World Series is now 1-1 and that's all I will say about that except for: GO SOX!

+

Oh okay, I have one more kind of "scary" thing to go with the theme -- I get scared to wash my hair after a new cut because I'm wondering whether my hair will look as good styled by me. Surprise, surprise I can't seem to look as polished when I style it by myself. However, it didn't turn out bad. Right? (Above, my hair as blown out and styled by yours truly.)

+

Something not scary: the remake of Carrie. Skip it! I probably didn't even need to tell you that, but I saw it last weekend on a whim and true to what I thought previously, Chloe Grace Moretz has no range beyond playing an eye-rolling sarcastic girl. As I said in my brief review, her line delivery was abysmal. And you don't have a solid movie if your titular character can't act the part.

+

On a related note, DO see 12 Years a Slave. It's brutal, but one of the best films of the year.

+

One shouldn't be pushed to write, but I did have a goal of writing more often in this space this year. Since I don't think another NaNoWriMo is in me at the moment, perhaps I'll make November a month of attempting to update every day...

+

And finally, this weekend Jiscilla is hosting a Halloween party so I'm excited to play dress-up and have some fun with friends! Photos shall ensue, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment