Friday, April 23, 2010

There's nothing like finding gold within the rocks hard and cold.

Given my previous foray into music I love intensely, I've decided to bring back an old feature I used to do here - Smiling Like I Mean It. The last entry under that tag was a full two years ago!

Smiling Like I Mean It
[songs that make me smile no matter what]


07 Kick Drum Heart - The Avett Brothers

This week I've been listening to one of my favourite albums from last year, I and Love and You by the Avett Brothers. (Most of my post titles this week are Avett Brothers lyrics!) And whenever it gets to "Kick Drum Heart" I can't help but smile and shimmy. Or, wanting to shimmy. It has the similar kind of silly charm as "Wishbone" by Architecture in Helsinki, but "Kick Drum Heart" wins in a matchup. If you know me, drums are usually my fave part of a song. I air drum, I don't air guitar at shows. And this song likens a heart beat like a kick drum!

Mah-mah-my heart like a kick drum!
Mah-mah-my heart like a kick drum!
Mah-mah-my love like a voice!

Other lines I tend to say (or at the very least mouth) out loud when walking down the street:

Always surprised to find more!

&

It's me following YOU!

You can buy the song's mp3 at the title link above, but I say you buy the entire lovely album by those brothers, also linked above. I just happened to post the song on my tumblr today if you need some convincing to buy the song/album - if it doesn't make you smile at any point, I don't even KNOW what. I mean, if it doesn't charm you into a smile, it has to make you laugh because it's so silly, right?

I LOVE IT. What do you think?

9 comments:

  1. I love this album. Another one I have on vinyl that makes me happy to own a record player. My favorite track? "Ten Thousand Words." I play it over and over and over and never get sick of it. But this one is great too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's kind of strange that you post this and I'm actually listening to "Ten Thousand Words," Zan. It's REALLY strange, actually. Shiver. Haha

    I love this entire album!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, love The Avett Brothers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love The Avett Brothers! And this song! I may copy your post idea in the near future because I have plenty of songs that NEVER fail to make me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely ADORE The Avett Brothers! Great song choice to get people introduced to them as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dudette! I totally saw this post AFTER I made my gmail status update of the day (Oh, technology, you allow me so many platforms for one line musings). Jeff loves this song and put it on a mix CD for me last week. Hows about that?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this feature and it's new to me, since I just started stalking (I mean reading) your blog in the last year. Love the song so much, it's my only ring tone (technology is way ahead of me). Sometimes I miss calls, cause I'm too busy singing along.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am inside your brain. RIGHT NOW, even. ;)

    ReplyDelete