Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Say Happy Birthday to Andrew, via charity:water !


My friend Andrew, also known simply by his last name Keller, has decided to do something very charitable and selfless to celebrate his 25th birthday on September 25th. He's donating his birthday to charity:water. The non-profit organization brings clean and safe drinking water to people in developing nations, and allows people such as Andrew to set up a personalized page to gather donations in the name of their birthday or weddings or what have you. In Andrew's own words:

i've recently started talking to the wonderful people at charity:water and have become inspired by the work that they do, and how little it takes to help so many people for so long.


i'm turning 25 years old on september 25th and wish to know that because of my friends, my family, and even total strangers a difference is being made in the lives of those that really need it.


i grew up in new york city, with amazing access to museums, theater, music, and food. there are people who are growing up without access to clean water.


feel free to make a donation of any amount, and certainly if you're so moved, forward it along to your friends and family.
(http://mycharitywater.org/andrewdkeller)
This is me passing along his cause to my friends. My birthday happens to be a mere three days after Andrew's, and if you were thinking of gifting me in any way, I'm going to pass you along to Andrew's page to donate. I'd start my own campaign, but I'd like to work towards Andrew meeting his goal! (Plus, we've joint-birthday'd in the past, so it's not a new idea, right?)

I just donated, and maybe you'd like to donate a small amount towards Andrew's cause as well. 100% of the donations go directly to fund clean water projects in developing nations.The charity:water homepage describes the water crisis:

Almost a billion people on the planet don’t have access to clean drinking water. Unsafe water and a lack of basic sanitation cause 80% of all disease and kill more people than all forms of violence, including war. We're working to change that.
Thanks for listening, and I know that Andrew's good soul appreciates your attention as well!


3 comments:

  1. What an awesome idea! He sounds like a great guy, and I might just be inspired for my next birthday (not until the winter, though). I'm going to donate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @thataintkosher thank you so much. you're donation, of any size, would be much appreciated.

    Jessica, thanks again for posting. much thanks birthday buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah used the wrong your (doing this on iPhone).

    ReplyDelete