Thursday, February 28, 2013

My secret to working out.

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." - Elle Woods, Legally Blonde
Yes, I am quoting the movie Legally Blonde before diving into a post about what I do to get those endorphins. My exercise routine for the past month has been dormant and this week I felt in need of a kick-start. I've been back to the gym and even tried this Zumba DVD set my mom gave me a couple of years ago. Yes, years...

Because when you haven't seen your husband in two weeks and the weather is dreary, you need some flippin' endorphins.

All that said, as a somewhat bookish person who played some soccer in high school and enjoys hiking mountains, I'm not quite attuned to regular exercise. What did I discover that brought me to the gym? I thought it could be making really cool mixes and jogging or ellipticalling (not a real word) to the beats. But no, it was the almighty Kindle that reeled me in. Well, the Kindle and a good book.



In 2010, I finished reading War & Peace on an elliptical as the sun came up over the Brooklyn skyline before I went to work. (I have a feeling that's one of the only books I will ever remember The Moment I Finished It.) Previously a bit skeptical of e-books, I now embrace the medium because it's allowed me to be more comfortable while working out.


Living in New York, my main reading space is on my commute on the subway. I've been conditioned to tune out most everything around me when on the train, and at the gym the Kindle helps me tune out the fact that I'm exercising! Miraculous. I think my next Kindle-read will be Gillian Flynn's Sharp Objects. Any suggestions for fast-paced reading fun?

(Can't remember why Rory would smile during that book, but okay.)
PS The television character I always related most to was Rory Gilmore from Gilmore Girls. (Well, her and Hurley from LOST.) I think a Gilmore Girls series-binge is imminent. It's been over six years since I last watched the series. That is all.

PS2 Except for...what if Gilmore Girls had lasted long enough for the e-reader to exist? I wonder what Rory's opinion would be. I should have probably kept this meandering thought to myself...

5 comments:

  1. If your gym has BodyCombat, that'll give you some mega endorphins! The downside of course being you can't read at the same time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rory is by far my favorite TV character. I think she would have been open minded to an e-reader, but would have been a late adapter and still appreciated flipping the pages of a real book.

    I just watched the whole series again, it's so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Liz. I can't wait to rewatch. The only DVDs I'm missing are the last season...but I think they're all on Netflix? Sometimes I binge on Gilmore Girls gifs on Tumblr and laugh, cry all over again. Okay, that was strange to admit.

      Delete
  3. I read Sharp Objects. It's definitely a little intense, but I enjoyed it. I also love using my kindle at the gym, it's the perfect way to pass time on the elliptical. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm not the only one! Yes, I love setting it on the elliptical at a huge font and just going!

      Delete