Tuesday, June 29, 2010

My Top Five Girl Crushes.

I've enumerated many a time my Top Five. However, I've never enumerated my Top Five Girl Crushes. These are ladies I want to befriend and converse with. I want to steal all their clothes, or simply go shopping with them. I want to pick their brains. I want to get hair and make-up tips. I want them to tell me their secrets to their confidence. These women, in my mind, rule.

I present to you, in no particular order, my Top Five Girl Crushes:


Gwen Stefani

No surprises here, right? I mean, she's been the inspiration to my LIFE since 1995. Through her music, honest lyrics (from a female point of view), fashion, classiness, business sense, and the way she seems to own at her own life - there's no one I'm more afraid of ever meeting, as well as hoping to become best friends with. If I could choose any one in this world to be a "mentor" in my own life, it'd be Gwen.


Penelope Cruz

I would be Penelope's frenemy in real life because I'd constantly be jealous of her beauty. And her talent. And her fiance. Just kidding about that last one! Kinda. She's simply mesmerizing - from Volver to Broken Embraces - and I want to figure out how to embody that hypnotizing quality. I wouldn't mind the sexiness, either.


Julie Delpy

Have you SEEN Before Sunrise and Before Sunset? Two of my favourite films of all time? You may remember me discussing how they are amazingly realistic romantic stories?? Because if you do, tell me how Julie Delpy manages to be ethereally beautiful throughout the films (and her career) with constant pre-makeover hair and little to no make-up. When my hair was long, it would look similar to Delpy's in it's frizziness and spontaneous waves. Yet, I was never so damn cool. Couple her effortless beauty with the loveliest French accent I've ever heard, and I'm smitten. Plus, she writes, directs, produces, sings, and gets nominated for Oscars for writing.


Zooey Deschanel

She's the reason I spent 2007 with bangs - the year I met Jesse. I want to steal her cute dresses and, sure, I'll take those gargantuan blue eyes, too. I remembered her very clearly from her bit part in Almost Famous. I followed most of her career since then through Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Weeds and 500 Days of Summer, and found her endearing and, suprisingly, not annoying. Then she co-founded She & Him. If you don't know yet, I basically think someone created that modern band with a 60s sound straight out of my head. And as someone close to my age that is also married to a musician (mine's cuter!), I feel like we could really bond if we ever met.


Tilda Swinton

If I could learn "badassery" from anyone, it'd be Tilda. She seems like she does whatever she prefers concerning fashion, the red carpet and her personal life - and all with a certain strength, confidence, and aplomb. Plus, she's strikingly gorgeous. If Zooey rustles up the girliness in me, Tilda (with a splash of Gwen) inspires the ties, the menswear, and any androgynous fashion I may wear on occasion. I once saw her walking out of a movie theater I was entering - I swiveled dramatically, in awe of catching a glimpse. As with all the ladies on this list, she's supremely talented. Sigh.

What are your top five girl crushes?!

24 comments:

  1. Mariska Hargitay, Drew Barrymore, Kristen Bell, Ellen Page, Kari Byron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bams - Love that you put Marisk and Drew on your list. I made one a girl crush list while back but I think it needs to be tweeked.

    http://www.ericadagley.com/post/149611946

    ReplyDelete
  3. tina fey, zoe saldana, jenny owen youngs, chauntelle dupree, zooey deschanel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phampants - she's definitely a looker.

    Claire - great list! Tina Fey almost made my list, and I've loved Zoe Saldana since Center Stage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. tina will always be my #1 lady but something about zoe saldana is so hot to me. i even loved her in that britney spears movie, but center stage is just so good. she was amazing in avatar & star trek, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Claire - yes, Zoe, like most people in last year's Star Trek was awesome & super hot. Ha :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I only have three. I'll have to think about it, buuut Gwen (obvs), Zooey Deschanel and Jenny Lewis!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vera Farmiga, Cate Blanchett, Rachel Weisz, Rachel McAdams... I'd love to be any one of those ladies! ;]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sonya - all lovely ladies! You love the English Rose type (where's Kate Winslet in your list?! Ha JK).

    I do have to say though. I must admit: I do not like Rachel Weisz. Gah, I said it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why not?! There was one movie she was in that I hated... and I forget the name. She was a slut, and really mean. I do admit that did bump her down a few notches.

    I'm partial to Vera Farmiga most... she is Ukrainian (like me) and coincidentally from my home town in NJ and went to the same church as I did. Love her!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rachel Weisz is actually a terrible actress; but you wouldn't know it because she's so blindingly beautiful. I once thought she was brills, but a friend who works in "the movies" told me how awful of an actress she is and told me to rewatch her. Um, yeah, it's true, she's horrible, and now I can't like her due to said friend and his comment. Haha. Don't let me ruin it for you though!!

    That's crazy all those coincidences you have with Vera! Awesome! She's a chameleon in her films; she's never the same. I like her lots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will definitely have to rewatch her! And you're right, it might be just because she's so darn beautiful.

    Kate Winslet = Almost made my list. I guess I do have a "type" hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no! Rachel Weisz was on my list and now I'm going to have to reconsider...

    Otherwise, my list is Kate Winslet, Zooey Deschanel, Rachel McAdams, Cate Blanchett, and Audrey Tatou. (Julie Delpy almost bumped Audrey--Before Sunrise/Sunset are two of the best movies ever. I completely adore them.) So I guess I had a top 7. Wait--8. Drew Barrymore. Crap. I'm not good at narrowing it down; it makes me feel guilty for leaving anyone out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lyndsey - I know how hard it is! All your ladies (besides Rachel) were contenders in mine! Especially Kate Winslet & Audrey Tatou. I was just rewatching Amelie the other night after watching Delicatessen and she's just TOO ADORABLE! Ha. And Drew Barrymore would be on my list just for starring/directing Whip It! I should make an honorable mentions list? But that would be too long!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Funnily enough, it was this post that inspired me to write the post you just commented on. I read it on google reader earlier (I can't access blogs to comment at work), started thinking about who my girl crushes were, realised one of them was more a girl crush on a character rather than an actual real live person, and then it went from there. I think I'm going to do a "5 fictional women i wish were my friend" too, haha.

    Anyways, girl crushes. Gotta say Gwen too, Katy Perry (I think she's absolutely GORGEOUS!), Jennifer Garner (she looks like she would just be a wonderful person to hang out with, her smile actually makes me happy, and she could teach me the Thriller dance), Cheryl Cole. And . . . Rachel Weisz.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Paula! JENNIFER GARNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I had remembered her (she's busy being a mommy lately!) I think she would have made the Top 5 cut for sure. I absolutely love her! Also, I'm kind of blown away by all teh Rachel Weisz love. But, then again, I used to love her too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this post! I've always had two in mind but would have to think more for top 5. Mine are Katy Perry and Ashlee Simpson. People tend to hate Ashlee but I just love her.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Molly - you have a friend in Erica Dagley, as you can see her comment above, she made a Top Five and it included Ashlee!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't know about a Top 5... but my current girl crush is Kristen Bell. She's such a Fangirl and she almost redeemed Heroes.

    PS- as I was leaving this comment I got an email saying that you had left a comment on my blog. We're like psychic twins!

    ReplyDelete
  20. thataintkosher - Love Kristen Bell!! Honestly as far as characters go, I'd say her Veronica Mars is some of the best-written out there. Love her!

    Woot psychic twins!

    ReplyDelete